Pickled Cranberry Relish
Very lightly sweetened with organic cane sugar, OlyKraut's Pickled Cranberries are an antidote to the hyper-sweetened, cylindrical jellies of yore. Traditionally fermented like our krauts and pickled vegetables, these cranberries are flavorful on their own, with just a hint of ginger and cinnamon. They also make a wonderful addition to seasonal recipes. This tart relish is a refreshing, contemporary take on cranberry relish. Still raw, juicy, and bursting with flavor, the addition of toasted walnuts, oranges, and raisins adds texture and sweetness to the berries for a sophisticated and fun take on this classic dish.
OlyKraut's Pickled Cranberry Relish
What you'll need:
- 1 navel orange
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 jar of OlyKraut's Pickled Cranberries (including a few tablespoons of brine)
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
1. Zest the orange, and then remove the peel. Chop the fruit and reserve.
2. Bring water to a boil, and add just enough to cover the raisins in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add orange zest and allow to soak together for 15 mins or until the raisins have plumped.
3. Toast walnuts on medium heat on the stove-top, stirring frequently, until they are golden and aromatic. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set them aside.
4. Finely chop the shallot and combine them with the raisins. Stir in the chopped oranges, OlyKraut's Pickled Cranberries, and the walnuts. Mix well.
5. Allow to marinate overnight (or a few hours if that's all the time you have). When you're ready to serve, transfer into a serving dish, draining any excess liquid, and garnish the relish with chopped parsley.
If you're feeling adventuresome, you can substitute the raisins for another dried fruit, like apricots or figs!