Using OlyKraut Brine!
It seems like a number of OlyKraut fans are wondering what to do with the brine. You don't need the brine to make your own sauerkraut at home. Fresh produce and natural sea salt are enough. However brine can be used as a tasty and healthy addition in many recipes and concoctions! Here's some examples:
- Try using brine to marinate your tofu or meats, like in a bratwurst with green apple.
- Use brine in a salad dressing with chopped garlic, spices and olive oil.
- Add brine to a soup as a stock.
- Use brine in a cocktail, (eg. spicy garlic brine in a bloody mary)
- Or simply drink a small glass of brine in the morning (possibly after an excercise) for all the the probiotics, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes it provides!
Here's a recipe straight out of OlyKraut's cookbook by Nora Lindsay and OlyKraut using our brine:
1⁄2 red onion
3 lemon cucumbers
1⁄2 c. cherry tomatoes
1⁄4 c. Eastern European brine
salt (or truffle salt) to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Chop all veggies and place them in a
bowl. The tomatoes can be left whole.
Pour in the brine and mix. Season with
salt, pepper, olive oil, and mix. Let
it sit in the fridge for at least 15
minutes before serving.
Check out more info on brine on our website under "Our Ferments"