Holiday Digestive Health Tips
Most of us probably have a few more festive feasts to attend before the New Year. All of these holiday parties mean several more weeks of fancy cocktails, decadent foods, and rich desserts. We need strategies to get through this next month. Here are 5 simple things to maintain your digestive health over the next few weeks.
1. Keep consuming probiotics in the form of raw fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, and kefir. The good bacteria will support the immune system and improve digestion which is important.
2. Don't forget about consuming prebiotics. Prebiotics are the plant fiber that fuel and help the good bacteria achieve number one. Eat your veggies, beans, and whole grains!
3. Strive for moderation. Holidays are not necessarily the time to implement a restrictive diet so instead, try to seek out the nutrient-rich foods, aim for smaller portions, and eat slowly and deliberately and really enjoy things.
4. Exercise moderately every day. Studies show a short 15-30 minute post meal walk improves digestion and improves blood sugar levels.
5. Make sure to get a good night's sleep. Benefits of adequate sleep include improved memory, lower stress, and so many important things! (We almost think sleep is more important than probiotics, but don't tell anyone we said that.)